ALL fans weigh in: Was the show better or worse before Lois knew?

Posted by: EditorJax

ALL fans weigh in: Was the show better or worse before Lois knew? - 05/23/08 11:28 PM

Do you prefer "Lois & Clark" (as a show, or as the characters) before or after Lois found out that Clark was Superman? And why?

Personally, I hated when Lois didn't know. I remember back when she not only found out that Clark was Superman, but eventually got engaged to him in winter 1995, the TV critic from Entertainment Weekly was blown away by not only the fact that L&C had broken canon so blatantly, but also that they had done it so well. I agreed then, and I agree now.

The main reason why I hate Lois not knowing is because she's too damn smart and too damn good a reporter to be in the dark and be played for a fool. She was the best investigative journalist in Metropolis -- and probably among the top in the country -- and yet she couldn't seem to figure out that her partner, who eventually became her best friend, and then eventually, her boyfriend -- all of whom would run out on her to return a video (journalists aren't exactly millionaires, but seriously, most of us can afford a late fee) or get his teeth cleaned so often that it's amazing that his gums didn’t hemorrhage -- wasn't the same superhero that she had been swooning over since day one.

Admittedly, you see what you want to see, and largely, at least in Season One, Clark was the "before" and Superman was the "way after" in Lois' eyes. But at the same time, some of the same things that attracted Lois to Superman -- his passion, his kindness, his sense of good -- were the same things she admired -- even envied --about Clark. So as she began to fall for Clark, in Season Two, you'd have thought she'd have began to see Superman with less rose-colored glasses long before she decided that she wanted to be with Clark -- her equal.

And while I do think she should have figured it out sooner, I did like that she figured it out on her own, and he didn't tell her. I think that would have been even more crushing. The fact that she very possibly could die when Superman froze her heightened her senses and made her aware of what she could be giving up -- and who she really wanted to be with. How ironic that being frozen is what thawed the ice queen out.

I love seeing Lois and Clark work together as a team -- it's one reason I love Season Four so much. Clark and Lois are both very passionate people, very dedicated people, very determined people -- and, individually, very isolated people. Before they were together, Lois threw herself into her work like Clark threw himself into his super duties. They both wanted to make a difference -- but they both also used it as a coping mechanism.

I like that when they became a couple, there were no longer any secrets between them -- and there was a sense of complete and total trust, something that I always felt like Lois was getting cheated out of when she finally was able to open up and trust Clark as her partner, best friend, and eventually, love interest (no easy feat for her), and he was still lying to her.

Once she knew his secret, they were able to support for each other, and could understand each other in a way no one else could.
Posted by: CatherineBruce

Re: ALL fans weigh in: Was the show better or worse before Lois knew? - 05/24/08 02:01 AM

I have a love/hate for both, actually.

See, I liked some parts of Clark trying to keep his secret from everybody, not just her. He also had Jimmy fooled, and Perry (although this one is negotiable) and some of his excuses were so far out there...

But I hated the fact that he seemed to be alone in all of it. Aside from his parents, no one knew who he was. Not Clark, Not Superman, but the guy in between who didn't have to wear the costume or the glasses.

That being said, that's what I liked most about when Lois found out. She didn't see him as Clark or Superman, but the guy in between. And she could help him come up with some much more believable stories for when he needed to go.

But there were times where I couldn't help but wonder 'what would he have done if she HADN'T known?'

Hmm.
Posted by: cain crazy

Re: ALL fans weigh in: Was the show better or worse before Lois knew? - 05/24/08 03:32 AM

I definitely liked it better when Lois knew. There were no more secrets and Lois finally understood where Clark was always dashing off to. I believe it made her fall more deeply in love with Clark, when she realized what he was giving up to save the people of Metropolis on a daily basis. Lois was really the only person that Clark could share absolutely every thing with, it made for better tv. The chemistry between Dean and Teri after lois knew helped also !
Posted by: Cape Fetish

Re: ALL fans weigh in: Was the show better or worse before Lois knew? - 05/24/08 03:59 AM

I can't give a very good answer, but I promised I'd try. Honestly, I liked the *show* more before she found out, there were a lot more episodes I enjoyed, and no stupid arcs. It felt like they were trying to rush things (like tying to get married before they even really dated) but had to throw up stupid road blocks like clones to slow them down.

On the other hand, I think I prefer *Lois and Clark* once she knows. I like that she's in on it, I like that he has someone to share things with. I just wish the show had done it a bit better.
Posted by: PunkRockPrincess

Re: ALL fans weigh in: Was the show better or worse before Lois knew? - 05/24/08 04:06 AM

No question in my mind, Lois and Clark was at its best after she found out that he was Superman. I really hated her not knowing. And to be honest it really bugs me that she is so smart, and such a great investigative journalist, yet she can't see through someone she spends almost every waking hour with. It was also really frustrating during season 2, when they were trying to start a relationship, but kept having problems because of his disappearing act. I do like the fact that she found out for herself, but would have also loved to see Clark tell her himself. I guess that's what fanfic's for! After Lois found out that Clark was Superman, and they worked through it, they truly became a team, and were able to fall even more in love. I love the fact that Lois is the only person Clark can truly be all of himself with, so romantic!
Posted by: Rai

Re: ALL fans weigh in: Was the show better or worse before Lois knew? - 05/29/08 09:02 AM

While I definately liked the show before Lois found out, I think the show was better after Lois found out. The revelation made them more of a team, and brought them closer together. I too liked that Lois figured it out on her own. I think it was more in character for Lois to put it together since she was such a good investigative reporter, and it also redeemed Lois a bit.

Rachel
Posted by: Kltpzyxm

Re: ALL fans weigh in: Was the show better or worse before Lois knew? - 05/29/08 09:11 AM

Ok, first of all...LnC4Ever, it is very hard to think about anything else when your avatar is making me so distracted! biggrin I've been sitting here staring at it for several minutes now. I'm going to have to switch to the full reply form just so I can concentrate.

Ok, now I can think clearly...

I'm really torn on this one. Season 2 is my favorite, so clearly I love when Lois doesn't know. However, season 4 comes in at a close second, so I really just love it both ways. I don't think the show got better or worse when she found out. I think it just made it different. If she had gone on not knowing for much longer it would have gotten absurd and completely frustrating, but it was a necessary part of the development of their relationship. She needed to not know. She needed to learn to love Clark for who he was without the cape. Plus, the whole issue of the 2 person love triangle was, at times, a lot of fun.

Then as their relationship progressed she needed to know. She was already in love with the real deal, so the hiding wasn't needed anymore. It was great to be able to see how her knowing who he was helped him in a lot of ways. She was able to cover for him and provide a support that he had never had before.

Sorry, Jenn. I guess I don't have a clear cut answer for you on this one!
Posted by: ChrisP

Re: ALL fans weigh in: Was the show better or worse before Lois knew? - 05/29/08 09:22 AM

I agree with Rachel and Lauren, but I'm not as articulate. wink

Chris
Posted by: jenni debb

Re: ALL fans weigh in: Was the show better or worse before Lois knew? - 05/29/08 10:37 AM

Hi,

I would agree with Lauren. I did like the show when she didn't know, but Lois had to find out, or she would have seemed a bit ridiculous. I am glad she worked it out by herself, though.

But when she did know, in my opinion, the show did get better. I loved the fact that they worked as a team - that one was strong when the other stumbled - that they were stronger together.

I know I seem to say this a lot, but I really loved it when they came together in every way. smile

Yours Jenni
Posted by: Elinor

Re: ALL fans weigh in: Was the show better or worse before Lois knew? - 05/29/08 01:37 PM

I completely agree with Captain (eehh... Lauren) - I even agree with the icon comment! tongue
She had to find out sooner or later, and considering that we "only" got 4 seasons, I think it was the right time in the end. There were a lot of great things about her not knowing, but if it had gone on for to long it would just have been frustrating, and probably a bit boring after a while. Lois finding out was a great 'twist' that made the show move forward. I don't think the show got either better or worse, I just think it moved forward in the only way it could to keep being interesting.
Posted by: ColinT

Re: ALL fans weigh in: Was the show better or worse before Lois knew? - 05/29/08 10:45 PM

Worse. Those two were meant to be together.

Just ask Mike:)
Posted by: Misty

Re: ALL fans weigh in: Was the show better or worse before Lois knew? - 05/30/08 01:43 AM

Well, I can't say that I liked it less one way or the other. To me, it was a case of being different whether Lois knew or not.

While she didn't know it gave Lois the opportunity to discover herself through Clark...the kind of person she was. From the beginning she was resentful of this man who had come into her life and knew from the outset that he had the power, through kindness and love, to not so much change her, but to make her realise her own potential. The growth and extension of Lois in the time that she knew him as just Clark is amazing but not so extraordinary when you know how much the power of love make you see yourself as you really are. I loved watching Lois go from being a totally selfish person because of the effects of the people in her life, especially her family. Having to strive always to be the best and Heaven help anyone who got in her way! This man, this 'hack from nowheresville' touched her within and awakened her soul to a way of life and love that she only dreamed of but didn't have the courage to explore or reveal. Oh, she was tough enough and strong and could achieve almost anything that she set out to do. But her true strength was to come from the love that she was always so afraid to show until this gentle, loving man touched her heart and taught her that love is strength, not fear. Superman became the perfect man...seemingly always there to protect her but remaining untouchable. Safe. Her heart could not be affected because he distanced himself that little bit from her. She could love him and remain the focused, spirited, fighting soul she always was. So she thought. She protected Superman, fought for the ideal of this person who came into all their lives to make their world a much better place.

But then she became torn between the two. This country boy who sparked a flame within her that she had never though would be ignited. How he continued to simply just love her when she treated him badly but also relied on him as a very dear friend...her best friend, something she had never had before. She learnt to trust him, to love him and to wish for a life like she had never known. But there was also Superman, the man from another planet who lived his life alone like she did...who needed the comfort of having a friend who understood him as she did. Her lonely life was just like his and she wanted him to know that he could rely on her to care for him.

Once she knew the secret and the lives of Superman and Clark merged into one, she was lost there for a little while. She could see in the one man the strength and certainty of the superhero who performed daily acts of love for the people in his adopted world. She could see the strength of a man who had always been loved but who also lived with being so alone because he was different. He had already won her heart but she hadn't realised that, in a way, they were very much alike...both outcasts, both seeking the reassurance of a love that would transform them into a force of love that enable them both to conquer their fears.

Every time I watch an episode either in the 'before' or the'after' I see something new...something I hadn't seen before in the growth of these two characters from fear and aloneness to a loving couple who have the strength that comes from that to face a cruel and uncertain world, head on.

To me, the timing of Superman's revelation was perfect given that the series lasted only so long. I love both sides of the revelation probably just as much because of the lessons there are to learn in both times.

Diane
Posted by: Natalie Elizabeth

Re: ALL fans weigh in: Was the show better or worse before Lois knew? - 05/30/08 06:30 AM

This is actually really hard for me to answer. At first i was like well i mainly watch the first two season so i would agree that the show was better

BUT........

When she finds out is also when things start to heat up bit more with L and C. i mean when she finds out they are now offically a couple. the chase is over they have been caught so to speak, it like with a romance novel once the couple get over a few bumps in the road the story ends.

so my view on whether the show was better or worse after she found out is kinda blured out by this.

(ok does anyonme actually understand what i am talking about or are you all frowning at your screens going huh)

I think lois was pretty smart and should have figured it out, but then again why would she. has anyone every expected that one of your friends was somebody else you had meet.
no why cause why would they be,

but lois being the snoop that she is should have noticed clarks behaviour and followed him to find out where he was going and all that.

i think the characters do change some what after season two, wether its cause the actors have had more of a chance to be them and developed them ( what actors! lois and clark are real people, haa haa) but i like to think its because the secret is out.

i think lois is more softer in s3 and s4. her wall that she puts up is no longer there . the person who she is the closet two has told her one big secret, he cant be lying about anything else right. i think tis the same with clark, he doesnt have to be as on edge anymore,

hmm well i hope that makes some sense
Posted by: Sandi

Re: ALL fans weigh in: Was the show better or worse before Lois knew? - 05/30/08 08:18 AM

In one word .... worse. frown
Posted by: sheilah

Re: ALL fans weigh in: Was the show better or worse before Lois knew? - 05/31/08 05:15 AM

I don't know that anyone can say the show was better or worse, but the two situations certainly appeal to different fans. I prefer the show after Lois found out. Having seen seasons 3 & 4, I find much of the first two seasons embarrassing. Lois goes to ridiculous extremes to prove that she's right or best, and I find those moments cringe-worthy. I hate seeing Clark lie to people he cares about, and Lois's blind acceptance of his truly stupid non-excuses is frustrating. Her relationship with Lex--even in Season 2, when she lets him get away, saying "I think you've been punished enough"--makes me want to vomit. The intrusions of Mayson and Scardino irritate me, but not nearly as much as Clark's continuing refusal to share his secret with Lois.

Most of those difficulties vanish after Lois is in on the secret, and I just love the two of them working together. Even their arguments are funnier when Lois is arguing with Superman the same way she argues with Clark. He no longer has a place to hide, so he has to face their difficulties and/or relationship issues instead of slipping away as Superman and effectively vanishing. In addition, he finally has someone to share himself with in a way he didn't really have before, even with his parents. They weren't on the spot to give him a good excuse or to stop him from trying to take on responsibility for the entire world. Everything just worked so much better once Lois was in on the secret.
Posted by: living not existing

Re: ALL fans weigh in: Was the show better or worse before Lois knew? - 07/07/08 07:59 AM

I really don't know. Good question.
Posted by: Nora

Re: ALL fans weigh in: Was the show better or worse before Lois knew? - 07/07/08 08:20 AM

First of all, I think every season has its ups and downs.

That said, I prefer the first two seasons, simply because they set up what the show is about (to me at least): Clark finding someone who loves him for who he really is. Watching LnC go through the journey of first being strangers, then becoming partners, best friends, then lovers....that's just magical. Also it made the show much more character driven, which IMO wasn't so much the case anymore in the latter seasons. Aside from the LnC aspect, I've always found the first two seasons much less 'out there' than the last two. The situations LnC were put into were just much more realistic and relatable IMO. I thought the writers had completely lost it when LnC were married by an ANGEL. I'd've chosen a church wedding over that any day.
Posted by: loislane_kent

Re: ALL fans weigh in: Was the show better or worse before Lois knew? - 07/09/08 07:20 AM

I think I love the first two seasons two. I love how Clark made an excuses, and how Lois reacts on it.

Okay, let's put it this way:

1 and 2 seasons- it is funny, I love how Lois annoyed to Clark and love Clark how he made excuses.
3 and 4 seasons- more on romance, which I find very interesting.

I love it all. I love how everything connects.

goofy
Posted by: Sylver

Re: ALL fans weigh in: Was the show better or worse before Lois knew? - 07/28/08 12:02 PM

I like both stages of their relationship. The only thing that got worse as the show went on were the silly A-plots, IMO.
Posted by: living not existing

Re: ALL fans weigh in: Was the show better or worse before Lois knew? - 08/20/08 09:06 AM

After watching the entire series, rewatching a season 1 or 2 episode feels kind of weird. I don't know which one I prefer, really.
Posted by: SuperPete

Re: ALL fans weigh in: Was the show better or worse before Lois knew? - 08/21/08 01:19 AM

In all the pro's and con's I find something of value. The first part of the series was used for not letting her know and the second part, more or less, to get 'em married. I found postponing the marriage and the plots deviced to do so way more ennervating than the wait for her to find out about him. There was a sweetness in her not knowing - it was not only the obvious "Hey he's Superman" but also the way of finding out about her own feelings, so, while admittedly there were akward moments, it was OK for me. Season 3 started off brilliantly and took a severe downturn with the whole Lex-is-back disaster; and after that, the show never reached previous heights. While I loved the mature parts of it, dealing with their life together, I absolutely hated the contrast to mostly lackluster, often infantile superhero-outer-space-weirdo A-plots. Whatever relationship situation Dean & Teri mastered and featured brilliantly there was usually an A-plot worse than the weak ones of season 1.... so from that point of view, the show got worse - not because she knew but simply, looking back at it now, because the production team almost completely lost the direction where to go - a show for 10 year olds mixed with love themes for adults.

So I am really torn apart - there are reasons why I like most of the series, but there are reasons, some explained above, while I watch mostly season 2, first half of season 3, a good part of season 1 and a very very few of season 4.
Posted by: Holly Brooke

Re: ALL fans weigh in: Was the show better or worse before Lois knew? - 08/21/08 01:48 PM

I guess I prefered the show after Lois found out. I was never a die-hard Superman/action fan, so to me Lois and Clark was the story of two people figuring out life. The fourth season is by far my favorite and not because of the horrific A-plots! I loved seeing Lois and Clark in a committed relationship. I also saw seaons 3&4 to be a show about romance with action mixed in.

There is nothing greater than seeing Clark Kent/Superman loose his "patience" to the woman he had loved for so long. To me, Soulmates was really the episode that changed so much. Once they were able to be 100% together physically, and emotionally, their work in saving the world became a supportive and unified goal.

Don't get me wrong here, I enjoyed the fun play between L&C during the earlier seasons. Much like what others have mentioned, those early seasons were the building blocks for what would come later. I mean the show would have sucked if Lois fell in love with Clark in the pilot. It made those wedding vowels (the real ones) have such emotional depth and meaning.

I agree that the proposal came out of left field, especially seeing as they had gone out on only a handful of dates. Season three was fast-paced until the clone crap. I'm just thrilled they finally married them off.

I've always wondered which D&T prefered? Did they like when Lois knew or did they not?
Posted by: KiWi

Re: ALL fans weigh in: Was the show better or worse before Lois knew? - 08/21/08 04:19 PM

I'm going to be different and say I preferred the show when Clark was trying to tell Lois he was Superman, but things kept getting in the way, and also the pre-wedding 'getting to know the real man' idea of the show. I say idea because I don't necessarily agree with the story/plot-lines used in the show... and I seriously think there should have been more development in the rebuilding of their relationship after Lois finds out. You don't just be angry one day, and cool with it the next.. it's something that needs to be worked through in order to develop trust. But I did love how they worked when she was in on the secret.

I do enjoy the whole show, and every season has it's high's and lows... and while after they were married there was a closeness in the relationship that few actors could convey on screen, some of the 'tension' around the relationship of Lois, Clark and Superman was lost... although I think if the stories had been able to develop the characters more... eh... I guess it's not god to speculate on the 'what could have beens' is it?
Posted by: Carolyn

Re: ALL fans weigh in: Was the show better or worse before Lois knew? - 08/21/08 08:25 PM

The show was good when Lois didn't know the A plots were better, yes, but I loved it when she found out (maybe that's the reason why I got hook up after watching the scene in Tempus Fugitive where Lois at least for a little while knew).

I think it's always about whether you care more about the A plots or the B plots in a show. I'm more interested in the B plot, when Lois knows their relationship grows and becomes stronger, they help and support each other, there's no more secrets and each can trust in the other fully.

Carolyn smile
Posted by: yuri35

Re: ALL fans weigh in: Was the show better or worse before Lois knew? - 04/13/18 02:27 PM

I would say it was better after she learnt the truth and was made better by how long we had to wait for that and how their relationship was at BIG risk because of that (see "Whine whine whine" episode).
And why it was better after she learnt the truth (i exclude the season 4 when i think many got actually bored of it)? just for the private jokes or interactions related to Superman being Clark which obviously werent possible before the truth (ex: Clark saying to Lois "do you think i would invite you to dinner in Paris for just a chinese restaurant?" or Clark saying to Lois "did i ever tell you i could fly?" and Lois answering "i only marry men who can fly" aanna).
And also obviously the great relief of finally seeing our two lovers being truly in love and enjoying it to the fullest without no real secret between them which could destruct their relationship.

Originally Posted By: PunkRockPrincess
No question in my mind, Lois and Clark was at its best after she found out that he was Superman. I really hated her not knowing. And to be honest it really bugs me that she is so smart, and such a great investigative journalist, yet she can't see through someone she spends almost every waking hour with. It was also really frustrating during season 2, when they were trying to start a relationship, but kept having problems because of his disappearing act. I do like the fact that she found out for herself, but would have also loved to see Clark tell her himself. I guess that's what fanfic's for! After Lois found out that Clark was Superman, and they worked through it, they truly became a team, and were able to fall even more in love. I love the fact that Lois is the only person Clark can truly be all of himself with, so romantic!

Yeah, that's because of that part that the season 3 (especially until episode 8) was so awesome.
"Ordinary people" was a real "shock" episode in that sense as more so than the "WHALTTA" episode, it was the first time you had Lois and Clark enjoying themselves so much with new jokes/interactions involving Clark being superman,etc...
Posted by: yuri35

Re: ALL fans weigh in: Was the show better or worse before Lois knew? - 04/13/18 02:35 PM

Originally Posted By: sheilah
I don't know that anyone can say the show was better or worse, but the two situations certainly appeal to different fans. I prefer the show after Lois found out. Having seen seasons 3 & 4, I find much of the first two seasons embarrassing. Lois goes to ridiculous extremes to prove that she's right or best, and I find those moments cringe-worthy. I hate seeing Clark lie to people he cares about, and Lois's blind acceptance of his truly stupid non-excuses is frustrating. Her relationship with Lex--even in Season 2, when she lets him get away, saying "I think you've been punished enough"--makes me want to vomit. The intrusions of Mayson and Scardino irritate me, but not nearly as much as Clark's continuing refusal to share his secret with Lois.

Most of those difficulties vanish after Lois is in on the secret, and I just love the two of them working together. Even their arguments are funnier when Lois is arguing with Superman the same way she argues with Clark. He no longer has a place to hide, so he has to face their difficulties and/or relationship issues instead of slipping away as Superman and effectively vanishing. In addition, he finally has someone to share himself with in a way he didn't really have before, even with his parents. They weren't on the spot to give him a good excuse or to stop him from trying to take on responsibility for the entire world. Everything just worked so much better once Lois was in on the secret.

That's exactly my opinion, well putted. thumbsup