illustrated mirc instructions

Posted by: zoomway

illustrated mirc instructions - 09/08/03 06:52 AM

For newbies to IRC (Internet Relay Chat), here are some instructions that I hope will help. First, go to www.mirc.com and download the software.

After you download and install mIRC, you'll see a screen that wants some information ...

First, let me thank channel owner Chris Paterson for making these updated screen captures smile

The Nickname blank is the only one that means anything since it's the nick you'll end up with on IRC. However, if the nick you choose is already in use, it'll default to the "alternate" nick you chose.

Under the connect menu, choose servers and from the choices of servers, choose the "Undernet" category of servers. That's simply because the #lanekent channel is on an Undernet server. Once you pick one, click "okay" and you're ready to connect.

When you connect successfully (sometimes you'll have to try more than one server) you'll see all kinds of weird stuff scroll by fast on your status window. That just basically lets you know that you've made it to the UNDERNET. In the space at the bottom of the status screen type /join #lanekent, or there's the mIRC "favorites" window (above picture) and just type the channel name #lanekent as shown and click "join" and voila, you're part of the conversation! biggrin

The names on the right are the nicks of the people on the channel. As you can see when you type something, your nick automatically appears on the channel in front of what you type so that everyone will know who said what.

If you have any other questions, just ask. Thanks again for the pics, Chris.

Zoom
Posted by: WandaD

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 09/08/03 09:31 PM

God, Zoom, these instructions are fabulous. These sure would've been handy a year and a half ago when I was pulling my hair out trying to join the channel. Of course, now the challenge is actually *leaving* the channel. biggrin Thanks for posting these instructions.
Posted by: Juanita

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 09/09/03 08:16 AM

I have mIRC. How do you get the password for #lanekent?

Juanita
Posted by: zoomway

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 09/09/03 08:51 AM

Quote:
I have mIRC. How do you get the password for #lanekent?
Go HERE and just sign up wink

Zoom
Posted by: Sabrina

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 02/02/05 12:43 AM

Hi, can somebody please help me? I tried to join the #lanekent channel on mIRC but it says "unable to join channel (need correct key)". What does this mean? What have I done wrong?

Please, can anybody help?

Thanks
Sabrina
Posted by: ChrisP

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 02/02/05 03:03 AM

The keyword is the password. You have to type in #lanekent keyword. Put in the password you got went you signed up at http://www.redboots.net/lanekent/lanekent.shtml
Posted by: Artemis

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 02/02/05 05:05 AM

Hi gals. I just followed the trail and the sign up page has this as Chris' e-mail cp13606@aol.com, but it is 13607, right Chris?
cool
Artemis

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 02/02/05 06:08 AM

Hi Artemis and you are right. I never noticed that, but not to worry, the signup request goes to an entirely different adress. I'll try to get the posted adress changed ASAP. Thanks for pointing it out. smile

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 02/02/05 01:34 PM

Hi, thanks for the advice. It works, but unfortunatly there was nobody there yesterday night. I just have to try again....

Thanks again !

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 02/02/05 06:44 PM

Hi Sabrina. Did you see an "x" on the right side in the list of talkers? If not, you were on a split by yourself. It's a thing that happens occasionally. To fix it, quit, then sign on again on another Undernet site. There is usually someone there, often ChrisP. Also, you need to think of the time zone difference. Usually the site is pretty full at dinner time, Pacfic time in the US. During the day it's not so busy.
cool
Artemis

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 02/02/05 07:50 PM

Hi Artemis,

thanks for the advice. I think I'll sign on tomorrow around dinner time.

I just retry till I was there once... wink

Bye
Sabrina
Posted by: Ro

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 02/10/05 03:00 AM

I have mIRC and I am on undernet but I need the password to join the channel. I registered on the redbook/lanekent website but wasn't informed of a password at the time and I've received no email with a password. Do I have to wait for someone to manually email me?

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 02/10/05 04:29 AM

Ro, you have to go to http://www.redboots.net/lanekent/lanekent.shtml
to get the password.
Posted by: Ro

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 02/10/05 05:13 AM

That is where I went. I registered and it says "Thank you for registering" shows a picture of Lois and Clark. Under that it has links to the message boards and the main page and a link to download mIRC (which I already have).

No password there at all and I have tried 4 times.

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 02/10/05 05:41 AM

Ro, that is not the same as the link on the MB. That is a separate page just for #lanekent. Any way, you can email me for the password at cp13607@aol.com.

Edit: Hmm, you are right. It's supposed to forward an email to me, but I just tried it and it didn't work. I'm sorry.

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 02/10/05 06:11 AM

Okay, the #lanekent signup page is fixed. I hope nobody else got missed. There was an error and the mail wasn't getting to me.
Posted by: hot guys make me crazy

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 02/08/06 11:04 AM

hi there~
so basically after downloading the mirc software from the site, and following the lovely directions that zoom posted, i have to go to http://www.redboots.net/lanekent/lanekent.shtml in order to get a password, in order to sign in to "undernet"?

oh and "The keyword is the password. You have to type in #lanekent keyword." does that mean i will get a password assigned to me? i'm so sorry, but this is my first time, and just to make sure, the software is free right? i want to try this out before the chat date, but i'm afraid i have to pay, or it will discontinue after the "30-day trial"...

are there any more steps to do in order to ensure that i am able to chat?

thanks~

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 02/08/06 11:56 AM

You don't need a password to sign onto the undernet. The password/keyword is just for #lanekent. The password will be off for the Dean Chat, but if you want to try it out before that day, you will need the password. Also, the password is off for our Saturday viewings of L&C eps.

mIRC is free. You just have to close the screen that talks about registration. I understand that ircle disconnects you every thirty minutes if you don't pay for it, but you can just reconnect.

I hope that helps.

Chris
Posted by: hot guys make me crazy

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 02/09/06 10:15 AM

Thanks Chris, that does, and when i have other questions, which i'm sure i will later, i'll know who to ask haha =]
Posted by: LnC 4 ever

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 06/19/06 05:08 AM

I have been trying to get connected to a server. I went to the website and installed mIRC6.17.exe.
Haven't been able to get connected.
On the info screen it asks for Full Name, do I put in my real name. I did'nt do that. Could that be the problem? Help please.
Thanks
Posted by: Nan

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 06/19/06 05:27 AM

You know, Zoom, this is exactly what I need. I'm very pictorial minded and find it very hard to follow written instructions. Sad, I know ...

Nan
Posted by: widget

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 06/19/06 05:44 AM

LNC 4 EVER, are you using an undernet server? The real name or not shouldn't matter, though I have a really ancient version of mIRC, but I doubt the name is the problem. Most people get hung up at using the wrong server, I think.

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 06/19/06 05:46 AM

Quote:
have been trying to get connected to a server. I went to the website and installed mIRC6.17.exe.
Haven't been able to get connected.
On the info screen it asks for Full Name, do I put in my real name. I did'nt do that. Could that be the problem? Help please.
Make sure you are using an Undernet server and for some reason, the European servers seem to work better. Sometimes you just have to keep trying. And you don't have to use your real name.

Chris

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 06/19/06 03:20 PM

Thanks Widget and Chris. I'll keep trying. I'm totally uninformed about this kind of thing. I will try all of the servers on the drop down list. I've printed out these instructions and the ones on the website but I haven't had any luck so far.
Your ep viewings sound interesting. I would love to join you and I would like to be there for Dean's chat.

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 06/20/06 02:49 AM

LNC 4 EVER, I just use where it says "Undernet: Random US server" or you could also use "Undernet: Random EU server." That way it'll just pick a server for you.

We're on IRC every night starting around 9PM eastern time, so you don't have to wait for the next episode viewing to try it out smile

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 06/20/06 11:29 PM

Thanks Widget, I tried all of the ones that said undernet. On every one I got message 'connection refused'. Today I spoke to my internet server and the Geek Squad at Best Buy (when I went to get third season L&C) and they both thought it probably is my Norton Internet Security or a firewall. They suggested I disable Norton and try to get on. Not sure I want to do that.

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 06/21/06 03:25 AM

4Ever, no you don't have to disable your Norton to get on. The Geek Squad is not always right. We got on with full Norton firewall and have an even bigger firewall now and it still works.
Here's an important tip: What the undernet is the excess space on large university servers. So if it's class time, they won't let you on because you are not a student and have no priority. That is why the EU servers work best because it is the middle of the night. Keep trying different undernet servers.
Good luck
Artemis

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 06/21/06 03:30 AM

I never have a problem connecting, day or night (unless it's the middle of a netsplit or something) so I have no idea what to tell you frown Sorry.

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 06/21/06 03:35 AM

Just checked with the new firewall and I'm on. So I don't know either.
cool
Artemis

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 06/21/06 02:01 PM

Thanks everyone. I'll keep trying.

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 06/29/06 05:11 PM

Well I'm back having had no luck so far. I even e-mailed the guy who writes the computer column in our local paper - he never heard of the undernet.
I'm thinking maybe I've done something wrong since so many of you do not have a problem. When I go to the mIRC site to download it indicates mIRC6.17 and gives site lists, one being American and Canadian, the other Europe and other places. I downloaded New York. Is this the place where I should pick a European site rather than American? I uninstalled the NY mIRC and thought I should start over.

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 06/30/06 01:21 AM

I don't think where you download it from matters, IIRC from downloading it years ago. The European vs US server thing is for when you sign onto the Undernet.

I personally have much more luck lately with the US servers. And I used the US servers years ago. We had to switch to using European servers a few years ago when someone hacked the US ones, but lately the US ones seem to have come back with a vengence, while the European ones are slow to let me on.

If you have AIM, maybe you could IM with one of us tonight and we can try to figure out where you're getting hung up, although if it's saying "Connection refused" on every single Undernet server it sounds like the problem is some kind of firewall on your end. Artemis's Norton lets her on, though, and most people on IRC have some kind of a firewall, so it's got me stumped confused

The best thing would probably be to IM with one of us so we can try to help you in real time.

Geez, I hope Dean tries out IRC before the chat. I'm imagining a nightmare helping *him* because he has a Mac. LOL wink

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 07/05/06 10:12 PM

Sorry for the delay in responding. I was away from my home computer for a few days. Thanks Widget I would appreciate any help I can get from anyone. And to show how completely computer illiterate I am, I don't know what AIM and IM are.

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 07/06/06 02:33 AM

AIM is a version of the AOL Instant Message program for people who don't use AOL. It's free, and you can download it at www.aol.com

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 07/07/06 03:03 PM

Thanks again Widget. I didn't know this was going to be so difficult. I don't think I am going to try to get on the undernet.

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 07/08/06 09:15 PM

Quote:
I didn't know this was going to be so difficult. I don't think I am going to try to get on the undernet.
That's a shame, LNC 4 Ever frown It's really not that difficult. The fandom has been IRCing for over a decade, along with some of the cast and crew who joined us in the past.

I think there just must be some hangup either with your firewall or with something else. I believe various colleges have IRC blocked and students have had to use other programs to get around the block, but I'm afraid I don't know what the other programs are that they used frown Hopefully one of them will see this and maybe post a suggestion.
Posted by: maripi

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 07/12/06 02:50 PM

With the chat with Dean coming up, I've recently tried downloading mIRC several times but have had problems doing so. But eventually I was able to make it work for me. I'm using Undernet: Random US server. LNC 4 EVER, how about checking:

1.frame for chat
classweb/gmu.edu/nursing/346/frchat.htm

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 07/14/06 03:11 PM

Thanks Maripi, I just tried again and got the message 'unable to connect to server (connection refused). All of the servers labeled undernet are tried automatically and all say the same thing. So I think the others are right when they say it is probably my internet security system or firewall. Is the 1.frame etc. a server address?
Posted by: maripi

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 07/15/06 02:07 AM

Quote:
Is the 1. frame etc. a server address?
No, it's not. Actually, I just came across it when I was looking for better ways of downloading mIRC thru the net since, as i've mentioned, I've been encountering problems with the others. This just happened to work for me. I do hope you'll be able to download soon.

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 07/29/06 08:55 PM

I've been doing a lot of talking to people about the problem I'v had connecting to the undernet. I think I've finally done it though. We have two computers that are connected to a Linksys. I am still not able to get on the undernet on my computer but I'm pretty sure I've connected on the main computer. I used the random US server and typed in #lanekent when the screen came up. When the screen changed I saw Chrispat at the bottom of it and a long box with a cursor. I will try to connect for the viewing tonite. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Edit: Okay I forgot to add a smiley face. I'm so excited I've edited this three times

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 07/30/06 12:27 AM

LNC4EVER, do you ever get to a page that reads something like this? You're going to be going through a host site and the installed software signs you up for that. The 6660 is the connection speed (I think) and you need 6660 to 6669. I'm totally flummoxed because I've never had any issues like you're having. We have Linksys too.

Quote:
*** Connecting to diemen.nl.eu.undernet.org (6660)
-
-diemen.nl.eu.undernet.org- *** Looking up your hostname
-
-diemen.nl.eu.undernet.org- *** Checking Ident
-
-diemen.nl.eu.undernet.org- *** Found your hostname
-
-diemen.nl.eu.undernet.org- *** No ident response
-
PING? PONG!
-
Welcome to the UnderNet IRC Network, LCArtemis
Your host is Diemen.NL.EU.Undernet.Org, running version u2.10.11.07
This server was created Fri Jun 17 2005 at 15:02:43 CEST
Diemen.NL.EU.Undernet.Org u2.10.11.07 dioswkgx biklmnopstvr bklov
WHOX WALLCHOPS WALLVOICES USERIP CPRIVMSG CNOTICE SILENCE=15 MODES=6 MAXCHANNELS=15 MAXBANS=45 NICKLEN=12 MAXNICKLEN=15 are supported by this server
TOPICLEN=160 AWAYLEN=160 KICKLEN=160 CHANTYPES=#& PREFIX=(ov)@+ CHANMODES=b,k,l,imnpstr
and etctera, etcetera.
confused
Artemis

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 07/30/06 12:33 AM

The actual command is /join #lanekent. I think what you saw was the info about the channel, but you were not actually in the channel. Good luck and hope to see you tonight.

Chris

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 07/30/06 01:21 AM

I went back to my mIRC stuff. Under the left hand menu in the image above you can just see the word "firewall" in the drop down menu. It is under the "connect" submenu. Make sure a box in that is not check to use a firewall. Here's what the Help menu says:
Quote:
Firewall

mIRC can connect to an IRC Server through a Socks4, Socks5, or Proxy firewall.

The main purpose of this option is to allow access to IRC through a firewall at work, or more rarely through a network set up at home. The majority of home users should keep this option turned off.

Hostname
The address of your firewall server, can be either a named address or an IP address.

User ID
Can be the account or user name on your system. For most people this will be the User ID portion of their email address (the text before the @ sign).

Password
The password required to access the firewall.

Port
This is usually 1080 for Socks firewalls.

Initiate DCCs through firewall

mIRC uses a passive protocol to establish DCC connections when a client is behind a Socks5 firewall.

This will not work with older versions of mIRC or other IRC clients because no standard exists. You can find out more about the protocol here.

Note: Socks4 and Proxy are limited in functionality, and only allow IRC server connections.

The /firewall command
This command allows you to change the above firewall settings.

/firewall [-cmN[+|-]d] [on|off] <server> <port> <userid> <password>

-c clears the userid and password values.
-mN where N is 4 or 5 for Socks4 or Socks5, or p for proxy.
+|-d where +d turns on dccs through firewall, and -d turns it off.
Make sure the top box in that menu item is not checked. It is off on mine.
Hope this helps.
cool
Artemis

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 07/30/06 03:27 PM

We had a huge thunderstorm last night so I unplugged both computers.
Chris, my son is on the other computer so I can't check. However, there was a box to type the channel and antother box that said join, I did both of those.
Artemis, I tried again to get on the undernet a few minutes ago on my computer and am still getting the message 'unable to connect to server (connection refused).
If I remember correctly I did get a welcome screen on the other computer and it was random U S server.
In the firewall box it says 'none', in protocol, Socks 4. The rest of the boxes are empty except port and it says 1080.Do I have to fill in the other boxes -hostname, user ID, etc.
It would be great if I could get on with my own computer as I don't always have access to the other one.
I don't know what DCC's are, all I can think of when I see those initials is Dean, even though his middle initial is G. *LOL*
Thanks to all of you for the help. smile

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 07/31/06 04:18 AM

Hi LNC4EVER:
Slightly OT: do you have surge protectors on your computer power plugs? That's easier than unplugging; you just flip a switch.
On the firewall thing, just make sure the top box is not checked. Then you don't have to fill out anything else.
On the connect box, I don't have a choice of "Random US Server". I have a list of all Undernet Servers and I just pick one. I suggest if you find a list of servers, pick one and try it. Maybe the random selection part isn't working. They can't all be busy at the same time. Again, try for a European Union (EU) server, since it is 8 hours later there than here. Yeah, "connection refused" means they are not letting you on, but I don't know why. The only thing I can suggest is to e-mail the IRC guru's.
This is from the help file:
Quote:
Connection Problems

The most common problems related to connecting to an IRC Server are described below.

Unable to resolve IRC Server
If you try to connect to a server and see this message, the problem could be:

Your Internet Provider's DNS isn't working
This happens occasionally and is a temporary problem with your Internet Provider. This problem would also result in your being unable to connect to other internet services such as web sites. You should try again later.

An Invalid or Non-working IRC Server address
You might be trying to connect to an IRC Server that is currently not working, or perhaps is an old address and doesn't exist anymore. You should try another IRC Server.

Trying to use the 32bit mIRC with a 16bit winsock
Try the 16bit mIRC to see if that solves the problem.

Unable to connect to IRC Server
If you try to connect to a server and see this message, the problem could be:

IRC Server isn't working
You might be trying to connect to an IRC Server that is currently not working. This is the most likely problem. You should try another IRC Server.

Invalid Port number
The IRC Server address might be correct but you've specified the wrong port. Most servers operate at least on port 6667, you should try that port to see if it solves the problem.
It could be that "Random US Server" isn't understood. Try typing in an exact server address like "diemen.nl.eu.undernet.org" .
Good luck
Artemis

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 08/01/06 02:41 PM

Thanks Artemis. I read the help info again but it did'nt help. Tried typing in exact server address, no luck. I decided to call Linksys. Spoke to a tech who told me the channels on the router needed to be recofigured. He asked me to disconnect the router from the modem. He might have well as asked me to tapdance on the moon. It will get done eventually but for now it will have to be status quo.
I did connect on the main computer again. The message at the bottom said 'now talking on lanekent' so I think I'm good.
The people on this board are amazing, so generous with their time and knowledge. Thanks again.

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 08/02/06 08:57 AM

I posted this in the Dean chat thread also. Thanks to LaurieC for these instructions:

For those of you who do not want to download MIRC, there is a webpage with a JAVA based chat client in which you can connect to the IRC.

Go to http://www.undernet.org/webchat.php

1) Type in your full name (or whoever you want to be that day - e.g. "Buzz" )
2) Type in a nickname (which will be displayed on the channel - e.g. "OMGLuvsDean" - limited to 12 characters )
3) Type in a alternate nickname (which will be used in case your original nickname is already being used - e.g. "OMGLuvsDeanIsTaken" - oops, the limit is 12 letters, that nick won't work <g> )
4) Type in your favorive channel, which should be #lanekent (don't forget you must use the "#" in front of the name of the channel)
5) You can just leave this one alone. However you will be automatically logged on to whatever channel is selected there. You can just close that channel after you're logged on
6) Pick either the European server (eu.undernet.org) or the US server (us.undernet.org) I suppose depending on where you're located.

Click connect. After you connect, you can type this command "/join #deanchat" (without the quotes, of course) to open the second chat channel. There will be buttons on the bottom of your chat screen that will allow you to toggle back and forth between channels.

Hope this helps.

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 08/03/06 08:02 PM

Quote:
I did connect on the main computer again. The message at the bottom said 'now talking on lanekent' so I think I'm good.
YES! You're there. Just use the main computer! The weird thing (maybe you don't want to know) is that if it works on one of your computers, it should work on both (but not simultaneously). I use my laptop when I'm out of town and it works fine. Just make sure you have only one address.
The other thing is widget's suggestion. I've never tried that because I've never had to.
Anyway, pull rank and use the main computer. We'll see you there!
cool
Artemis (LCArtemis on IRC)

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 08/04/06 03:43 PM

Yes, I thought if I connected on one computer I should be able to connect on both of them. I was on last night and it was fun. I have a big "reserved" sign on the other computer so I will be there.
Widget I tried the webchat site and was able to get on. Thanks. It's a different chat room isn't it? They said I could get in on Dean's chat there. But I wasn't able to access the #deanchat channel. Instructions were given but I didn't see the folder and hammer they were talking about.
Will the Sat ep viewing be available on the webchat site?

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 08/04/06 09:31 PM

I forgot to answer an earlier question: DCC is a direct link between you and another member on the site. It's a private chat channel. #deanchat is on IRC. I don't know about the webchat site.
cool
Artemis

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 08/04/06 09:41 PM

Quote:
I was on last night and it was fun.
Oh good, you made it! What was your nick on the channel? We had a lot of people come in to try it out. We were even suspicious of one nick early in the evening, thinking it might be Dean biggrin
Quote:
But I wasn't able to access the #deanchat channel. Instructions were given but I didn't see the folder and hammer they were talking about.
I don't remember anyone talking about a folder or a hammer last night. In order to join #deanchat all you have to do is type /join #deanchat on the main channel and it will open the second window.
Quote:
Will the Sat ep viewing be available on the webchat site?
Yes, you should be able to come to the episode viewing with the Java chat site.
Posted by: FinLi

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 08/04/06 10:32 PM

Hi,

When I type in all my info and click connect, I get a message box, but with a red X in the corner,like it's closed and I can't open it and some smiley icons that I can't do anything with....

What am I doing wrong confused

FinLi

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 08/05/06 03:48 PM

Thanks Artemis. The chat was awesome. Now I have another question -- sorry. When I connect to mIRC the screen with all my info comes up. When I press 'connect' it tells me that nick I have chosen is already in use, so I have to choose a different one every time. I was on Thurs with one nick and had to choose another one last nite. Is there something I can do to keep using the same nick. Thanks.

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 08/05/06 04:59 PM

Glad you made it, LNC. The solution is to choose a nick that isn't ever in use and stick with it. For instance, you could pick "LCForever" and that will be your IRC nick.
Mine is Artemis here, but it is always in use by some big IRC guru (European stuff, you know, godess and all that) so it will never work. So there I'm LCArtemis.
cool
Artemis

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 08/06/06 02:58 PM

Thanks, Artemis, it worked. Was able to use the same obscure nick. lol

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 08/11/06 03:26 PM

Hopefully this will be my last post in the saga of trying to connect to mIRC on our secondary computer. I talked to Linksys the other day for about an hour and went throught many steps with several different people. The last one told me it was probably my Norton. So I decided to disable it and *voila* I was able to connect. Next step I uninstalled it and re-installed it and it's good. Was able to connect on my own computer. Did several tests and connected every time. boogie
And now the question, would I be able to download the log from Dean's chat or can only certain people do that?

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 08/11/06 09:59 PM

The log was posted so everyone could read it. Downloading it is fine.

Chris

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 08/12/06 02:44 PM

Thanks Chris. Still looking for the complete unmoderated portion. I read everything posted on the boards.

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 09/03/06 02:29 AM

For anyone who might still be having trouble, I downloaded the newest version and couldn't get on IRC myself even after completely deleting Norton from the computer. I finally went into the firewall section of mIRC and changed a drop down menu setting from "both" to "none" and voila, it worked smile
Posted by: L&C_Girlie529

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 10/15/06 04:15 AM

i think i might be doing something wrong cuz i got into IRC fine and went into the chatroom but there wasnt anyone in there???

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 10/15/06 04:23 AM

We're there. Make sure you're using an Undernet server.

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 02/01/07 03:19 PM

Well, I'm back. I have a couple of questions.
Are IRC and mIRC two different things?
And now that my thirty day trial on mIRC is up I have to pay $20 which is no big deal but I don't do any business online. Don't have PayPal and don't want to establish an account. Any suggestions how I can get back on. I've missed the weekly episode viewings. Thanks.
Posted by: Vanda Detroit

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 02/02/07 03:51 AM

Hi,

mIRC is a software for Windows PC's to use IRC and it's called mIRC.
About the thirty day trial: You can use mIRC longer than thirty days, you just have to click on that button everytime (I haven't tried that one, but I heard that it's working after 30 days).
This one is working for sure: Uninstall mIRC and reinstall it. Then you have again the 30 days.

Hope this helped you,
Barb

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 02/02/07 04:21 PM

Thanks for the info Barb. Every time I uninstall I have to disable my Norton and change my name. Had to do that early on a couple of times. It wouldn't let me get on with my former name. If worse comes to worse I will do that. Thanks again. smile
Posted by: celebrianna

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 02/17/07 11:44 PM

Hi,

I'm new at this. I downloaded the software and I just had a question. Do I wait until tonight at several mins to 9 to connect?

I already did the nickname stuff and I found Undernet and I saw several options under it. I just wanted to familiarize myself with software. I'm also just trying to see that i do things right before tonight.
Posted by: Vanda Detroit

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 02/18/07 03:32 AM

Hi Celebrianna and welcome to the boards smile

No you don't have to wait. We are nearly there 24 hours wink At 9 you'll find a lot of US folcs and before European folcs, too.

See you,
Barb
Posted by: Classicalla

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 02/24/07 10:13 AM

Quote:
The log was posted so everyone could read it. Downloading it is fine
Where is the log posted?

And yes, you can bypass paying the $20.

Are the episodes shown on the Lois Clark channel or another channel?

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 02/25/07 07:54 AM

Classicalla,

The links to the logs were posted in the Dean folder sometime in August after the chat happened.

And we watch the episodes in #lanekent. The viewing times are advertised in the L&C folder.
Posted by: LoisLaneLovesClarkKent999

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 12/07/07 04:45 AM

Posted by: Miss Parker

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 12/06/08 03:48 AM

Hey, I've also done all that, but when i try to connect to the us.undernet thing, it keeps saying i need to change my username, but when i do, it says i gotta do it again...

and does anyone even go on there anymore?
Miss Parker

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 12/06/08 04:13 AM

Quote:
when i try to connect to the us.undernet thing, it keeps saying i need to change my username, but when i do, it says i gotta do it again
Try to pick something very unusual and see if it still tells you that. All I can guess is that you're picking nicks that are already taken.
Quote:
and does anyone even go on there anymore?
Yes, we're on IRC every night of the week, some nights busier than others. I believe you're in Australia? That would probably be morning and afternoon for you.

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 12/06/08 04:26 AM

ok, well, we have a schedule for the computer and i'm normally on from 11 am to 2 pm my time, but this tuesday i'm on from 10:30 pm for as long as i like, so i'm guessing that'll be daytime in the US? could someone help me get on there properly then? I really want to get on next time Dean is on, but with my luck, I won't be able to, then I'll finally get on... just after he's left...

Miss Parker

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 12/06/08 04:30 AM

oh yeah
it says:
* Connect retry #2 us.undernet.org (6667) (dns pool)
-
-us.undernet.org- *** Looking up your hostname
-
-us.undernet.org- *** Checking Ident
-
-us.undernet.org- *** Couldn't look up your hostname
-
-us.undernet.org- *** No ident response
-
Your username is invalid.
Connect with your real username, in lowercase.
If your mail address were foo@bar.com, your username would be foo.
-
Closing Link: kparker by Vancouver.BC.CA.Undernet.org (USER: Bad username)
-
* Disconnected

sorry if that takes up too much room.
Miss Parker

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 12/06/08 04:33 AM

I'm afraid nobody is really on IRC in the daytime anymore, so we wouldn't be there in your evening time. We're on IRC right now, if that gives you any idea of the timing.

I'm asking our IRC host about the message you posted and will get back to you soon, hopefully.

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 12/06/08 04:34 AM

Hmm. Try using an EU undernet server. I've never seen that message before.

Chis

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 12/06/08 04:37 AM

thanks widget. well, if it helps, i'll be on 11-3 tomorrow, and 11-4 on monday. and whan you say my evening time, what timeframe do you mean, cos chances are i'l be on til like 5 or 6 in the morning my time.

ChrisP I tried using both US and EU. Do I have to use the Undernet thing to join #lanekent and #deanchat? or can I connect from any server, cos its letting me connect to the AustNet server.

Miss Parker

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 12/06/08 04:41 AM

There isn't a #deanchat. That was only for the chat itself. We're on #lanekent on the Undernet, so that's why you have to use an Undernet server.

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 12/06/08 04:42 AM

ah, that makes sense. damn, i'll try some of the others. thanks

Miss Parker

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 12/06/08 04:47 AM

nah, none of the other Undernet servers are working. does this mean I'll actually have to pay that $20.00? cos it's a small price to pay, really.

Miss Parker

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 12/06/08 04:54 AM

well, guys, i gotta get off the PC real soon, so i'm gonna grab a couple of fics before i go. i'll be back tomorrow. and thanks for the help
Miss Parker

PS fyi, i don't do anything with the fics i save, i just put them on my mp3 player so i can still read fics when i'm not on the PC. no need to worry about plagerism (sp?)

smile
Posted by: Qex

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 12/06/08 04:58 AM

Click on the 'hammer' icon, at the top of your mIRC screen.

On the left side, there is a list of settings. Choose 'connect'

For Full name, type whatever name you'd like to go by.
For Email address, just type in any email address

Underneath the spaces for your nick, it should say: 'Server: Undernet - [server name]. If it doesn't you need to change it. Click on the orange button, and look for IRC server. Click on the drop down menu, and choose an Undernet server, near the bottom of the drop box and not an AustNet server. Click connect to server to try these new settings.

You can also use the web-based chat client at http://www.undernet.org/webchat.php. You will need Java installed for this, though. To start, just type in your name, and your nick. For channel, choose 'Another Canal'. Press connect, and wait while it loads. Once you see 'You are connected to the Undernet (or something similar) you can type /join #lanekent

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 12/06/08 05:01 AM

thanks, but i already tried all of the Undernet servers, none of them worked for me. I tried with various nicks, too, that didn't work either.

Miss Parker

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 12/06/08 05:02 AM

I loooked at the email address you used. It might be the dashes in your email address preventing you from joining.

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 12/06/08 05:15 AM

well i don't have another one except my yahoo which has underscores in it...

Miss Parker

PS i just realised I have until 3 this afternoon, so I'm on for anoher hour.

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 12/06/08 05:39 AM

The Java chat that Qex suggested might work for you until we figure out what's preventing you from using mIRC. We have a few people who use the Java one who, for one reason or another, aren't using mIRC, like if they're at someone else's house and don't want to download a program onto someone else's computer.

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 12/06/08 05:42 AM

actually, i tried it on that one first, and i got the same messages.

sorry i'm being such a pain, guys.

Miss Parker

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 12/06/08 05:43 AM

Hmm, interesting. Are you using your own computer or one at a university that might be blocking IRC somehow? Some FoLCs have had their workplace or their university block IRC.

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 12/06/08 05:45 AM

my own.

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 12/07/08 08:12 AM

Test
Posted by: KiWi

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 12/07/08 10:20 AM

Miss Parker.... change your username to something in lowercase only. No caps.

And if you get a message telling you to quote a password because of a broken identd make sure to follow the instructions and type /quote pass numbercombination where numbercombination = a string of numbers randomly generated by the irc server you connect to.

Austnet is not a part of undernet. Although if you can get on oz.org I might be able to help you figuring out undernet. Unfortunately however, I am on at unusual times as I am in Asia....

Regards

KiWi

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 12/08/08 02:16 AM

Kiwi, yeah, it kept telling me to change my username(to lowercase) but it was already in lowercase, I've been using parker or kparker and it still won't let me on. I can get into almost all of the other servers, just not undernet for some reason... I'm really confused. Is it cos I'm in Australia?

Miss Parker

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 12/08/08 02:23 AM

and kiwi, I'm on oz.org now if your still on...
Miss P

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 12/08/08 02:54 AM

Quote:
Is it cos I'm in Australia?
No. We've had Aussies on IRC for years, and currently have a couple of Aussies who come in.

Btw, I just checked and someone is currently using the nick 'parker'. I think you need to try something more unusual. Even if you change it to 'parker123'.

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 12/08/08 02:56 AM

I'm checking out that site that people use cos they can't get on IRC, but I'm not aving much luck yet.

Miss Parker
Posted by: KiWi

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 12/08/08 03:36 AM

miss parker.. what is your nick on oz.org... i'm KiWi... let me know and i'll see if we can sort it out. If you can get on oz.org, you can get on undernet.

I've always been able to use undernet from Australia.... and given you can connect to every other server, I think there is a good chance it is something trivial not allowing you on.

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 12/12/08 03:18 AM

What just happened...? I just got onto #lanekent on mIRC (FINALLY! not that webchat thing), and everyone left...
did i do something? or is IRC crapping out?

sorry if it was me...

Miss Parker

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 12/12/08 03:19 AM

We see you there, Miss Parker, and even said hello to you. Maybe you're on a split server.

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 12/12/08 03:22 AM

Yep, for those reading this thread, she was on a split server. And it was the dashes in her email that was preventing her from getting on before. Once she got an email without them, she got right in.

For anyone else who has problems getting in, please post here and we'll try to help you the best we can.
Posted by: LolaDane3

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 10/02/10 11:21 PM

so what happened to UNDERNET?? I am new to IRC but not to these boards and I am trying to get hooked up. Superman HELP!
Posted by: Marie94

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 01/05/11 02:38 PM

Hello,
I'm living in France, it's possible to connect on the channel ?

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 01/05/11 07:46 PM

Hi Marie,

Yes, you can connect from just about anywhere. There are usually a few of us there till about 9AM your time.

Lola, keep trying. If the US servers won't let you on, try the EU servers.

Chris

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 01/05/11 07:56 PM

Thanks !
I found people on #Loisclark but not in #lanekent ...
Where I have to go ?

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 01/05/11 10:26 PM

#lanekent tends to be busy in the late evening US time, but the channel is always available. Maybe you should post in the Lois and Clark folder to see if you can get some other people to chat with you in there while we US people are sleeping. I am usually there till about 2AM Pacific Time which is early morning your time. So if you can come in early. I would like to meet you. smile

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 01/06/11 08:21 AM

Hi Marie, welcome to the boards smile

If you see X in the channel, you'll know you're in the right place. That's just a robot that keeps the channel open, so it won't answer you. We're in the channel right now, along with a couple of other European fans, so if you're up and reading this, come join us smile

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 01/06/11 08:21 AM

Very good, thanks wink
I try to come when there will be lot's of people !
I want to speak with lois and clark's fan. ;-)

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 01/06/11 08:23 AM

Originally Posted By: widget
Hi Marie, welcome to the boards smile

If you see X in the channel, you'll know you're in the right place. That's just a robot that keeps the channel open, so it won't answer you. We're in the channel right now, along with a couple of other European fans, so if you're up and reading this, come join us smile

I try wink
Posted by: kamo

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 02/08/11 04:47 PM

A guide with information.....
Posted by: Don Diego

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 05/07/14 07:24 PM

still me, Kelly ;)
Posted by: Kismatt

Re: illustrated mirc instructions - 05/08/14 07:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Don Diego
still me, Kelly wink

*noogies you* Ahem. Delete as necessary wink