Updated IRC Instructions

Posted by: zoomway

Updated IRC Instructions - 07/13/11 08:51 PM

For newbies to IRC (Internet Relay Chat), here are some instructions that I hope will help. First, go to www.mirc.com and download the software.

After you download and install mIRC, you'll see a screen that wants some information ...

First, let me thank channel owner Chris Paterson for making these updated screen captures smile

The Nickname blank is the only one that means anything since it's the nick you'll end up with on IRC. However, if the nick you choose is already in use, it'll default to the "alternate" nick you chose.

Under the connect menu, choose servers and from the choices of servers, choose the "Undernet" category of servers. That's simply because the #lanekent channel is on an Undernet server. Once you pick one, click "okay" and you're ready to connect.

When you connect successfully (sometimes you'll have to try more than one server) you'll see all kinds of weird stuff scroll by fast on your status window. That just basically lets you know that you've made it to the UNDERNET. In the space at the bottom of the status screen type /join #lanekent, or there's the mIRC "favorites" window (above picture) and just type the channel name #lanekent as shown and click "join" and voila, you're part of the conversation! biggrin

The names on the right are the nicks of the people on the channel. As you can see when you type something, your nick automatically appears on the channel in front of what you type so that everyone will know who said what.

If you have any other questions, just ask. Thanks again for the pics, Chris.

Zoom
Posted by: Kismatt

Re: Updated IRC Instructions - 05/05/14 08:58 PM

I ran across another option for IRC: Mibbit.

No need to download or install a separate program. If you use Chrome, you can even add it as an extension.

I have created a YouTube video of directions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh8MWa7gL6I

If you need any other assistance, please PM me!
Posted by: Don Diego

Re: Updated IRC Instructions - 05/07/14 07:35 PM

Just still me, Kelly. Still testing :D Thanks for the link, that's good. I'm afraid a lot of this stuff is outdated. Still fighting the never-ending battle of spammers for Widget. I had chemo again this week :P I swear it seems like the spammers know when I have it. Good job.

Don Diego, AKA Zorro.. er Zoomway ;)
Posted by: Kismatt

Re: Updated IRC Instructions - 05/07/14 09:51 PM

oooh, You sneak! lolol

Re: Updated IRC Instructions - 05/08/14 01:39 AM

Quote:
oooh, You sneak! lolol

Believe me, I'm glad you're so vigilant. Spammers seem to like the taste of my board. I know we get a lot of hits a day, but this kind of abuse comes from unfriendly spiders, and they ain't itsy-bitsy, or eensy-weensy tongue

Thanks for what you and the other mods do. I'm working on the current problem.

Zoom

Re: Updated IRC Instructions - 05/08/14 07:45 AM

And what the hey is up with the captcha still being there? Yeah, still testing goofy