Superman Family : Lois gets Clark's powers

Posted by: Avilos

Superman Family : Lois gets Clark's powers - 09/13/03 05:43 AM

Zoomway, In an earlier post you mentioned a Mr. & Mrs. Superman story from Superman Family in which Lois receives Clark's powers. I would be very interested in more information on that story and more scans. If it is not too much trouble.
Posted by: zoomway

Re: Superman Family : Lois gets Clark's powers - 09/14/03 12:27 PM

Quote:
Zoomway, In an earlier post you mentioned a Mr. & Mrs. Superman story from Superman Family in which Lois receives Clark's powers. I would be very interested in more information on that story and more scans. If it is not too much trouble
Okay, this story took place in 1981, I believe. Back then, in the regular comics, Clark didn't work for the Daily Planet, he worked for a TV news station and sometimes dated Lois, but as Superman, not as Clark. However, also in that era were comic books that took place in an alternate universe known as Earth-Two. Lois fell in love with Clark and they got married. They both worked for the Star newspaper.

As a little background on this story, Lois left work early to do some preparations for Valentine's Day, but moments before Clark got home, she found she had x-ray vision and could see Clark's gift to her hidden in the closet. I think that's about all the setup this needs ...

Lois sees a man falling from a building, but also sees that Clark is taking too long changing into Superman.

Lois rescued the man at super speed, which made her virtually invisible, and then returned to their apartment.

Clark, of course, no longer had his powers and Lois had to save him. I like that Lois was concerned about the neighbors seeing them wink

After discussing Clark's powers and trying to find a clue as to what happened, Lois suggested she could help Clark appear to be super until they figured out how to fix the problem. Notice the mask and gauntlets being very similar to Ultra Woman's.

Superman arrived on the scene of a hostage situation, with Lois' help, of course.

Heat vision began melting the firing pins of the pistols.

Of course it was Lois' heat vision. Though when Clark tried to slug the bad guy, he didn't make much of an impression, because as Superman he was use to pulling his punches instead of punching with full force.

Lois' rushed at super speed to absorb the punch with her hand.

Superman then used full force, at least full human force, to clobber the bad guy. His henchmen quickly surrendered.

They returned home and Clark gave Lois an exotic plant from a distant world as his Valentine's Day gift to her. However, Lois began to water it, which apparently wasn't a good idea.

The plant was from a desert world, so watering it, killed it. It's kind of funny that whether Lois waters a plant or forgets to water a plant, she manages to kill it anyway biggrin

However, the exotic plant is what caused the power transfer and when the plant died, Clark's power returned to him.

Anyway, that's the story and it was called "Turnabout Powers."

In many ways these old Superman Family comics had a lot more in common with the Lois and Clark series than even the John Byrne revamp comics. Lois and Clark tended to work together and defeat the bad guys together quite a bit more than happens in current comics. Had nice artwork, too wink

Zoom
Posted by: Tarkas

Re: Superman Family : Lois gets Clark's powers - 09/14/03 10:52 PM

Quote:
[The Mr and Mrs Superman series] Had nice artwork, too
One name says it all: Kurt Schaffenburger! The quintessential Lois Lane artist, right through the Silver Age -- and not bad at Captain Marvel, either. wink

Actually, Kurt's Big Red Cheese was better than his Superman, IMO -- at least until he became the regular penciller on the Earth-2 series; then, his Superman looked better than it had in the 60's (more hair! Kurt's Man of Steel in the 60's could have been a Marine with that short back and sides smile ) and Lois was a bit... softer (the art, not the character!). Maybe it was a different inker, or maybe he was deliberately trying to imitate Curt Swan, suitably modified for the 1950s setting of the series. Whatever; he was still the perfect artist for M&MS, and old-timers like me enjoyed seeing the Lois we grew up with get her man and enjoy married life -- even if it was an AU.

Phil, who rather likes Lois' outfits in this story -- the costume and the blouse-and-slacks combo. Beats ice blue satin... thumbsup
Posted by: Avilos

Re: Superman Family : Lois gets Clark's powers - 09/16/03 07:22 AM

Thanks Zoomway,
It is really amazing how many similarities there are between "Turnabout Powers" and "Ultrawoman". DC should reprint all of those Mr. & Mrs. Superman stories in a trade paperback, along with Action Comics 484 in which the Lois & Clark of "Earth 2" got married.
Posted by: Tarkas

Re: Superman Family : Lois gets Clark's powers - 09/16/03 09:36 AM

Well, I'd buy it, FB, but hold not thy breath waiting... :grumble:

Given DC's attitude to Lois and Clark as a couple (see other threads for details going back years), not to mention their apparent hatred for any sort of marital happiness for their major characters -- cf. the Flash (both Barry and Wally), Hawkman, GL (Hal, Kyle and, I suspect, John shortly), Nightwing (I won't even mention Batman... rolleyes ) et al. -- I strongly doubt that they'd reprint a successful series that features a happily-married Lois Lane and Clark Kent living and working together, even if it was set in the 50s on a parallel world. Why, it'd be far too much like that horrible TV show... (their opinion, not mine, do I need to say? biggrin ) People might actually like the idea of a married Superman, and that would ruin all their plans for several years of keeping Lois and Clark apart, getting Clark involved with old flames -- to say nothing of revamping the entire Superman mythos to agree with what is being presented in Smallville... <shudder>

But we can dream, I suppose... And they were fun tales -- the return of Funny-Face, the great car hunt, the continuing adventures of Lois' niece Susie... Not earth-shattering mega-crossovers or black angst-fests, but simple, enjoyable stories of a Superman and his wife as a team. Wonderful stuff... but anathema to the idiots who oversee the comics today.

Phil, who has been buying Adventures of late because it actually features L&C in the same issue, working together. It won't last, but it sure is nice, even with the dire art...