AMERICAN ALIEN: Superman All Over Again

Posted by: BevK

AMERICAN ALIEN: Superman All Over Again - 08/21/15 03:18 PM

Superman All Over Again

Guess what? DC is going to tell us Clark Kent/Kal-El's origin story AGAIN! How many times do we have to relive this? Oh! And it's supposed to be funny!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

SUPERMAN: AMERICAN ALIEN #1
Written by MAX LANDIS
Art by NICK DRAGOTTA
Cover by RYAN SOOK
1:25 Variant cover by NICK DRAGOTTA
On sale NOVEMBER 11 • 32 pg, FC, 1 of 7, $3.99 US • RATED T+
Hollywood screenwriter and Eisner Award nominee Max Landis (Chronicle, American Ultra, ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN) joins forces with top comics artists including Jock, Francis Manapul and Jae Lee to bring you SUPERMAN: AMERICAN ALIEN, a 7-issue miniseries chronicling the life of Clark Kent and his development into the archetypal hero he will eventually become. But these are not the stories of the iconic “Superman” as you know him, but of the soft-spoken, charming, often-funny Kansas farm-boy behind the Man of Steel. With the tone of each issue ranging from heartwarming and simple, to frighteningly gritty and violent, to sexy, sun-kissed and funny, SUPERMAN: AMERICAN ALIEN is unlike anything you’ve seen before.
In this first issue, superstar artist Nick Dragotta (East of West, Fantastic Four) illustrates the story of Jonathan and Martha Kent as they struggle to deal with their 12-year-old son’s latest quirk—he’s been floating up into the air, sometimes hundreds of feet!

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Sorry for flooding this forum with posts, but I love Superman!

Posted by: ChrisP

Re: Superman All Over Again - 08/22/15 05:18 PM

Don't worry. We like Superman too ;)Thanks for finding all this.
Posted by: PMC12

Re: Superman All Over Again - 08/24/15 12:12 AM

Not to worry, Bev. From the numbers a lot of people like this stuff.
I'm kind of worried about this series of comics because I know of Max Landis's other work and I don't really care for it. My kids like him but his work is too slightly off for me. He says he likes Clark Kent but he is also a firm believer that Clark is an average guy, not really an alien walking among us. His Clark will probably be more New 52 than iconic.
I can't really look forward to it as much as I am the return of Lois and Clark.
Posted by: KateW

Re: Superman All Over Again - 08/24/15 03:56 AM

I like the cartoons and funny thread and also the fan films. Superman fans are fantastic.

Kate

Re: Superman All Over Again - 10/02/15 11:42 AM

American Alien gives us an interview with Max Landis.
I'm a terrible waffler on this one, I admit! Looking forward, dreading it, looking forward, dreading it . . .
There is no preorder for this title yet that I can find.

Re: Superman All Over Again and Again - 10/26/15 02:14 AM

An alternate beginning.
Here is another retelling of the origin story.

Re: Superman All Over Again- !!!SPOILERS!!! - 11/14/15 11:25 PM

Superman: American Alien
I just read the first issue.
I'm glad it's a standalone series and has nothing to do with canon. The story is funny in some places but way out in left field in other places, just jaw dropping-ly way out in left field.
It starts with little Clark starting to float, and any situation you can think of as a result. A lot of what happens is in front of witnesses, but everyone is good with it. "Is that the Kent boy?" people say as little Clark defies gravity all over the place.
And, yes, his eyes glow red and people have seen that, too.
It's an unusual take on CK and funny in some places, much as I hate to admit it.

All remaining issues will play in order after this one if you click on autoplay.

Re: Superman All Over Again- !!!SPOILERS!!! - 11/17/15 05:29 AM

I found a copy at WalMart. I think I found someone's hidden copy - stuffed inside a bigger magazine. I bought it anyway.
I liked that your idea of a support group of trusted friends helped the Kent's and kept Clark's secret is a prominent party of the story. Yes, people saw the Kent boy floating, but being friends of the family they accepted there would be a good explanation for it. wink
You and I discussed this possibility three or four years ago on this message board!
I'll buy the next issue, too.

Kate, willing to ignore the left field stuff

Re: Superman All Over Again- !!!SPOILERS!!! - 11/18/15 06:52 PM

My son has the first issue but I haven't read it yet. It has to make the rounds before it gets to me. Mom and Dad are last on the list. We used to sneak the Harry Potter books at night and read them as fast as we could.

Re: Superman All Over Again- !!!SPOILERS!!! - 11/24/15 03:04 AM

This is a funny story so far. It is off center, I agree, but not in an annoying way. I'm sure the Kents must have reacted similarly in canon. Maybe not as goofy but with fright certainly. I can see Jonathan and Clark having a little funny and some laughs as they worked on getting his powers under control.
I liked it. wink

Re: Superman All Over Again- !!!SPOILERS!!! - 12/18/15 03:22 AM

American Alien #2

I hate to admit it, but this was a darn good story. I like that the whole town is looking out for Clark, especially Pete Ross. The poor sheriff is at his wit's end worried about protecting his abilities. This is the Kent boy and, gosh darn it! He needs to be more careful.
Loved the comment about what the wrong people might do to him: take him away and dissect him?
Martha's little speech was nicely done. Mom.
Posted by: Jake

Re: Superman All Over Again- !!!SPOILERS!!! - 12/20/15 12:11 AM

This is why I like this comic. It's a lot closer to realistic than anything else I've ever read about Clark's life. There had to be other people who knew of his abilities and helped the Kents protect him. His closest friends would have known. The Kents' closest friends would have known.
Thanks for calling attention to it.

Re: Superman All Over Again- !!!SPOILERS!!! - 12/20/15 02:25 AM

I never really thought about it until just a few years ago, when Kate and I were speculating who "Uncle Ian," mentioned in a TNAOS episode, might be. Either Jonathan's or Martha's brother. We decided there had to be a sizable group who knew about the baby 'Russian experiment' that the Kents found.
Their lawyer, a judge, a doctor, a nurse, a child services worker, a police officer/sheriff- just for starters. I'm a teacher and a mom, so I know the documentation and health records that are necessary for a child to attend a public school. In all, I think, incarnations of Superman he attended public schools and went to college. He needed proper documentation, not forgeries, to do it.
Still..........of all people to agree with us, huh, Kate? Max Landis?! lol

Re: Superman All Over Again- !!!SPOILERS!!! - 12/21/15 02:41 AM

We have to quit dissing him.
It is a pretty good story. A little too violent but we were warned. Landis did say this was going to be the most violent of the stories.
I agree with Jake that is as close to realistic as Superman can get. I like that this boy is not alone. He has a friend he can count on.

Kate

Re: Superman All Over Again- !!!SPOILERS!!! - 12/21/15 02:17 PM

Also, Clark's powers are developing over time, or with use. At the start of the event, he was able to be bloodied, but just minutes later a gunshot rebounds from him and hits the shooter.
It's like his body is learning how to use these powers.

Re: Superman All Over Again - 01/10/16 03:01 AM

This is just a mini series but it sounds good already. I can't wait to read it. It has Superman!!
Superman: The Coming of the Supermen

Re: AMERICAN ALIEN: Superman All Over Again - 01/14/16 02:55 PM

American Alien #3

This issue is great! All I'm going to say is Clark is mistaken for Bruce Wayne and . . . . . . .! lol

Re: AMERICAN ALIEN: Superman All Over Again - 01/14/16 03:40 PM

I left my iPad at home! I can't read it til later!

Kate hairpull

Re: AMERICAN ALIEN: Superman All Over Again - 01/14/16 07:17 PM

You're absolutely right! Loved Pete Ross's comments, loved Clark's introspections, but puzzled by the woman . . .????????

Re: AMERICAN ALIEN: Superman All Over Again - 01/15/16 02:41 PM

Yes, what was the eye opening thought that woman had? She was falling in love with a guy who was NOT Bruce Wayne?
Also.....
Bruce already has that kind of enemy?
Questions, questions but it was a fun read!

Kate

Re: AMERICAN ALIEN: Superman All Over Again - 01/15/16 05:32 PM

Sweet, sweet story! Bruce is royally pissed! He's going to come out fighting.
I got all three issues. The first is perfect. The basis of Clark's personality is all there.
The second one went overboard with violence but I guess even Clark was a know it all teen, too. Martha is a pretty good mother. She could see his side and tried to understand it.
Good call, guys. I would have ignored it.
The comics are coming back good.

Re: AMERICAN ALIEN: Superman All Over Again - 01/15/16 06:22 PM

I have something else to discuss with my oldest! We both like the stories so far and that is unusual- having something in common with my driver's ed son!

Re: AMERICAN ALIEN: Superman All Over Again - 02/24/16 03:03 AM

American Alien #4

SPOILERS!!!

We meet a lot of young people who will be a big part of Clark's life from now on.
Of all the superheroes to be, Clark is the youngest. Oliver Queen made a brief appearance in the last issue, my favorite so far, and this issue he spells out his change in attitude, his decision to use his new position as CEO of the family business to help people. Lex Luthor is so full of it!
I liked little Dick Grayson and his appraisal of Clark.
Not to mention Lois Lane! And the Batman.
Another good story but not so great artwork.

Re: AMERICAN ALIEN: Superman All Over Again - 02/24/16 06:59 PM

One little trip to Metropolis was all it took! It isn't going to sit well with Lois fans that she is begging Clark to work with her and combine their interview leads for one mega article. And the Batman got beat up and unmasked! Whoa! lol

Kate

Re: AMERICAN ALIEN: Superman All Over Again - 03/03/16 06:16 PM

PS: All 4 of the AA comics available are offered for free reading at Hello Comic . The new Lois and Clark comics are, too.

Kate

Re: AMERICAN ALIEN: Superman All Over Again - 03/04/16 01:58 AM

Very compact story. One visit to the big city and all the important characters in Clark's future manage to bump into him- including Dick Grayson. In this case I accept all coincidences, but with an eye roll. Landis pushed it a little too much.

Re: AMERICAN ALIEN: Superman All Over Again - 03/04/16 04:16 AM

Yeah, I guess. Or, things were just destined to fall into place when the right circumstances presented themselves.

Re: AMERICAN ALIEN: Superman All Over Again - 03/22/16 11:18 PM

American Alien #5

Flying around with goggles and Batman's cape, Clark starts aiding the law and has his first encounter as a superhero with Lex Luthor. Lex tells him he needs to start using his brain and stop making rash mistakes.
har I'm not sure what the lesson to be learned here is nor who is supposed to be learning something. Obviously, Lex is playing the brilliant criminal and thinks he is humiliating the flying good guy, but he's just showing that for all his intelligence- well, he's not as smart as he thinks he is. wink

Re: AMERICAN ALIEN: Superman All Over Again - 03/23/16 01:53 AM

Yeah, that was funny. Talk about creating your own worst enemy.

Re: AMERICAN ALIEN: Superman All Over Again - 05/10/16 01:20 AM

American Alien #6

SPOILERS!!!

Finally getting around to this, though I've reread it many times.
I'm totally enthralled by the entire town of Smallville expecting great things from that Kent boy and their disappointment that he isn't living up to his abilities. Instead he went and became a darn old city boy. har
There is a nice surprise appearance I won't mention if you haven't read it yet. And Pete Ross? He'll always have Clark's back, no matter what. Superman is something else, but he'll always be there for Clark.
There is one more issue to go in this series and I will miss it when it ends. Take note, Max Landis. I will probably never say that again about your work. wink

Re: AMERICAN ALIEN: Superman All Over Again - 05/10/16 02:45 AM

I was going to start a thread for this! Honest!
I will miss this series, too. I like this look at CK and not just because it uses so many ideas similar to ours. That's a hoot, sure, but also because the Kents have support. In this world Martha, or Jonathan for that matter, would never have to stand in a crowd as a stranger if he is hurt badly enough to be hospitalized. Someone would get her inside BEFORE Lois Lane shows up.

Re: AMERICAN ALIEN: Superman All Over Again - 05/10/16 02:48 AM

Originally Posted By: BevK
American Alien #5

Flying around with goggles and Batman's cape, Clark starts aiding the law and has his first encounter as a superhero with Lex Luthor. Lex tells him he needs to start using his brain and stop making rash mistakes.
har I'm not sure what the lesson to be learned here is nor who is supposed to be learning something. Obviously, Lex is playing the brilliant criminal and thinks he is humiliating the flying good guy, but he's just showing that for all his intelligence- well, he's not as smart as he thinks he is. wink

Going back to this issue, Lois's encouragement is very much like TNAOS Lois's talk of hope in the same situation.

Kate, better late than never

Re: AMERICAN ALIEN: Superman All Over Again - 05/10/16 05:51 PM

LOL! The whole town is expecting so much more from him! Because the monsters are coming.

Re: AMERICAN ALIEN: Superman All Over Again - 05/11/16 04:24 PM

Smallville knows where Superman goes.

Re: AMERICAN ALIEN: Superman All Over Again - 05/22/16 12:23 PM

American Alien #7

SPOILERS!!!

That's it. The last issue is here. I wish they had chosen a different artist to do the last story. Other than that, sorry but I don't like this guy's style even though he's the king of comic book artists right now, Landis gave us an ending that is almost perfect. I won't say too much but the Superman story falls into place nicely, with no drastic OOC behavior. (No killing, but a car smashing.)
Lois Lane wasn't a major character throughout the stories, but her scene here has it all, it captures her personality and place in Clark's life perfectly, IMO.
If you don't like reading comics, there are videos of the seven issues on YouTube.

Issue #1, and all remaining issues will play in order after this one if you have "autoplay" checked.

Kahlil Khan, Chapter 3 - 07/04/16 12:43 AM

Pakistani Superman
This little story continues.

Re: Kahlil Khan, Chapter 3 - 07/05/16 12:04 AM

I like other realities. I hope this one starts moving a little faster story wise. The artist seems young but has potential, and I hope he remembers to keep the story moving.

Re: KAHLIL #6 (AMERICAN ALIEN) - 10/10/16 02:16 AM

Chapter 6 of Kahlil , the Pakistani Superman.

Re: AMERICAN ALIEN: Superman All Over Again - 12/27/17 05:32 PM

I hope all of the really disturbing accusations coming out about Max Landis don't affect this series, American Alien, too badly. I never liked him and I read these comics because they were Clark Kent oriented and I liked them because of that focus on CK and the influences he had that shaped Superman. I especially liked Lois Lane's love for him being so open and natural and not something she was ashamed of or afraid of or embarrassed by. There were obstacles but none were drenched in angst. There was angst, of course, but there were other issues, too, that I chose to overlook for the sake of the whole story.
Landis's work is now being pulled and "second thought of" in the wake of the stories coming out about him (and his father.)
I hope this series can escape the worst of it, because coming from the mind of someone who perpetrated such accusations, this Clark/Superman story still stands out.
JMO, but I hope most Superman fans read this series and formed their opinions, pro or con, before all of the recent revelations about the author.
OTOH, I understand now how this CK was able to walk away from Lana after the unfortunate accident she had and never be there for her or her family. Any other CK would have stayed a part of her life. The author seems to have given CK his own reaction to that. JMO, JMO.

Re: AMERICAN ALIEN: Superman All Over Again - 12/27/17 07:36 PM

Power corrupts.
I liked the comics, too. It's a pity Landis is, so far allegedly, worse than he presents himself. It won't change my opinion of AA, but I can't help think what's being said will affect the way people see the comics, too.

Kate