Lois and Clark Message Board
a triangle built for two     

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#250389 - 08/21/15 11:18 AM AMERICAN ALIEN: Superman All Over Again
BevK Offline
Clark Defender

Superman All Over Again

Guess what? DC is going to tell us Clark Kent/Kal-El's origin story AGAIN! How many times do we have to relive this? Oh! And it's supposed to be funny!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

SUPERMAN: AMERICAN ALIEN #1
Written by MAX LANDIS
Art by NICK DRAGOTTA
Cover by RYAN SOOK
1:25 Variant cover by NICK DRAGOTTA
On sale NOVEMBER 11 • 32 pg, FC, 1 of 7, $3.99 US • RATED T+
Hollywood screenwriter and Eisner Award nominee Max Landis (Chronicle, American Ultra, ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN) joins forces with top comics artists including Jock, Francis Manapul and Jae Lee to bring you SUPERMAN: AMERICAN ALIEN, a 7-issue miniseries chronicling the life of Clark Kent and his development into the archetypal hero he will eventually become. But these are not the stories of the iconic “Superman” as you know him, but of the soft-spoken, charming, often-funny Kansas farm-boy behind the Man of Steel. With the tone of each issue ranging from heartwarming and simple, to frighteningly gritty and violent, to sexy, sun-kissed and funny, SUPERMAN: AMERICAN ALIEN is unlike anything you’ve seen before.
In this first issue, superstar artist Nick Dragotta (East of West, Fantastic Four) illustrates the story of Jonathan and Martha Kent as they struggle to deal with their 12-year-old son’s latest quirk—he’s been floating up into the air, sometimes hundreds of feet!

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Sorry for flooding this forum with posts, but I love Superman!

Edited by BevK (01/14/16 09:56 AM)

#250391 - 08/22/15 01:18 PM Re: Superman All Over Again [Re: BevK]
ChrisP Offline

Loc: San Diego
Don't worry. We like Superman too ;)Thanks for finding all this.

#250402 - 08/23/15 08:12 PM Re: Superman All Over Again [Re: BevK]
PMC12 Online   content
Lane and Kent

Not to worry, Bev. From the numbers a lot of people like this stuff.
I'm kind of worried about this series of comics because I know of Max Landis's other work and I don't really care for it. My kids like him but his work is too slightly off for me. He says he likes Clark Kent but he is also a firm believer that Clark is an average guy, not really an alien walking among us. His Clark will probably be more New 52 than iconic.
I can't really look forward to it as much as I am the return of Lois and Clark.

#250405 - 08/23/15 11:56 PM Re: Superman All Over Again [Re: BevK]
KateW Offline
Clark Defenders United

I like the cartoons and funny thread and also the fan films. Superman fans are fantastic.

Kate

#250620 - 10/02/15 07:42 AM Re: Superman All Over Again [Re: BevK]
BevK Offline
Clark Defender

American Alien gives us an interview with Max Landis.
I'm a terrible waffler on this one, I admit! Looking forward, dreading it, looking forward, dreading it . . .
There is no preorder for this title yet that I can find.

#250741 - 10/25/15 10:14 PM Re: Superman All Over Again and Again [Re: BevK]
BevK Offline
Clark Defender

An alternate beginning.
Here is another retelling of the origin story.

#250886 - 11/14/15 06:25 PM Re: Superman All Over Again- !!!SPOILERS!!! [Re: BevK]
BevK Offline
Clark Defender

Superman: American Alien
I just read the first issue.
I'm glad it's a standalone series and has nothing to do with canon. The story is funny in some places but way out in left field in other places, just jaw dropping-ly way out in left field.
It starts with little Clark starting to float, and any situation you can think of as a result. A lot of what happens is in front of witnesses, but everyone is good with it. "Is that the Kent boy?" people say as little Clark defies gravity all over the place.
And, yes, his eyes glow red and people have seen that, too.
It's an unusual take on CK and funny in some places, much as I hate to admit it.

All remaining issues will play in order after this one if you click on autoplay.

Edited by BevK (05/22/16 08:39 AM)

#250899 - 11/17/15 12:29 AM Re: Superman All Over Again- !!!SPOILERS!!! [Re: BevK]
KateW Offline
Clark Defenders United

I found a copy at WalMart. I think I found someone's hidden copy - stuffed inside a bigger magazine. I bought it anyway.
I liked that your idea of a support group of trusted friends helped the Kent's and kept Clark's secret is a prominent party of the story. Yes, people saw the Kent boy floating, but being friends of the family they accepted there would be a good explanation for it. wink
You and I discussed this possibility three or four years ago on this message board!
I'll buy the next issue, too.

Kate, willing to ignore the left field stuff

#250909 - 11/18/15 01:52 PM Re: Superman All Over Again- !!!SPOILERS!!! [Re: BevK]
PMC12 Online   content
Lane and Kent

My son has the first issue but I haven't read it yet. It has to make the rounds before it gets to me. Mom and Dad are last on the list. We used to sneak the Harry Potter books at night and read them as fast as we could.

#250928 - 11/23/15 10:04 PM Re: Superman All Over Again- !!!SPOILERS!!! [Re: BevK]
PMC12 Online   content
Lane and Kent

This is a funny story so far. It is off center, I agree, but not in an annoying way. I'm sure the Kents must have reacted similarly in canon. Maybe not as goofy but with fright certainly. I can see Jonathan and Clark having a little funny and some laughs as they worked on getting his powers under control.
I liked it. wink

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ChrisP, Kismatt