Lois and Clark Message Board
a triangle built for two     

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#252046 - 06/19/16 12:45 PM Some Scary News
Nan Offline
Lane and Kent

Loc: The Lone Star State
I posted this on the other boards, but I hope i have a few friends still left over here, too.

I haven't posted for a while, and it looks as if I may not for another while.

In April, I discovered a lump in my right breast. My doctor checked it and didn't think it was anything. We couldn't do much more because my insurance only covers a prophylactic mammogram every two years, and my last was in November of 2014.

Friday before last, I noticed it was sore all day, and Monday I called my doctor for another check. She said it seemed thicker, and scheduled me for a diagnostic mammogram the following day.

They found a suspicious mass about the size of a peanut. They told me that because of my age they had to assume that it might be malignant. Ultrasound over the whole area showed that whatever it was, it was still localized, and they were going to schedule me for a biopsy the following Monday. I managed to talk them into a biopsy the same day. You can get very determined when you are scared, which I was.

The results came back the next morning. It is invasive ductal carcinoma -- breast cancer, grade two. Further analysis is still pending to determine the stage.

80% of breast cancers are this kind, especially in women in my age group. I'm 68. They don't think it has gone beyond the localized area, but it requires immediate treatment, for obvious reasons. I see a breast surgeon on Thursday, which is, as far as I am concerned, a long time.

I've spent a lot of time crying since Wednesday. No matter how well or ill this turns out, the next year is going to be a very hard one for me. I hope anyone who knows my writing will wish me luck, and those who believe in it, please pray for me. I have never been so scared in my life.

Nan Smith

#252047 - 06/19/16 02:21 PM Re: Some Scary News [Re: Nan]
ChrisP Offline

Loc: San Diego
Dean Nan,

I'm so sorry to hear about this. This cruel disease has struck several folcs. I wish you the fastest and best of treatment for a cure. I'm here if you would like to call and talk.

Chris

#252048 - 06/19/16 04:45 PM Re: Some Scary News [Re: ChrisP]
Nan Offline
Lane and Kent

Thank you, Chris. I might just do that when it gets too much.

#252049 - 06/19/16 04:46 PM Re: Some Scary News [Re: Nan]
LMA Offline
Lane and Kent

Loc: USA
Praying for you, Nan. Lots!

And please keep us posted smile...

Thinking positive,
Laura
-"Oh?"
-"Sure, you had three hot dogs at the festival."
-"See, that shows how well you don't know me. I only eat like that when I am miserable..."

~Clark and Lois (who is definitely not miserable) in 'The Green, Green Glow of Home'~

#252051 - 06/20/16 06:56 PM Re: Some Scary News [Re: Nan]
PMC12 Offline
Lane and Kent

It is so hard to hear this news from anyone. I'm sure you will have much support from all of your family and friends including online friends and fans of your work.
I send you good thoughts and much hope that your upcoming treatment will be successful.

Paula, PMC12

#252053 - 06/20/16 11:36 PM Re: Some Scary News [Re: Nan]
KateW Offline
Clark Defenders United

I'm so sorry to hear this. I, too, send hopeful thoughts and prayers your way. I once read a tweet that cancer is a word, not a sentence. Believe it. You'll find the strength to fight it.

Kate ( who liked Vampire Murders)

#252057 - 06/21/16 09:58 AM Re: Some Scary News [Re: Nan]
BevK Offline
Clark Defender

I am so sorry to hear this. It is difficult news to receive from anyone, but I will remember you with prayers and good thoughts, and encourage you to accept help and support from all who offer it.
This might be inappropriate, but my sixth grade students often use creative writing assignments, especially haiku, to express their feelings about loved ones who are ill. Two that I have never forgotten express how everyone can offer support.

grandma got Cancer
i can't Feel it, just see it
i will make her Smile:)

iseeyournotwell
butillhelpyouifican
readtoyou,bakecookies

#252072 - 06/24/16 08:32 PM Re: Some Scary News [Re: Nan]
Nan Offline
Lane and Kent

The meeting with the surgeon went well. I will be scheduled for an MRI in the next two weeks, and a probable lumpectomy followed by radiation, some time after that. Then there will be breast reconstruction to repair the piece they have to take out, and hormone therapy to suppress estrogen and progesterone, which can feed a tumor's growth, for several years.

My doctor, who comes highly recommended, tells me that this kind of tumor is the most common kind in women who have no family history of the disease (which I do not) and has a 95% cure rate, barring unlikely surprises.

This can all change, of course, depending on any further discoveries, but the growth is small yet. She told me to relax, that I wasn't going to die of this thing. I hope she is right.

Life isn't fair, as I have always known, but, good grief! I have no relatives on either side of the family, back as far as my great grandmothers, who have had breast cancer. I nursed 7 babies -- and I drew the short straw. I'd swear if I didn't make a point of not putting bad language in print. And in my job I had the unenviable opportunity to learn a lot of pretty colorful language that I probably should never have heard. I've used a lot of it to myself and my hubby in the last week, when I wasn't indulging in sheer panic.

#252078 - 06/25/16 01:52 PM Re: Some Scary News [Re: Nan]
ChrisP Offline

Loc: San Diego
That sounds like pretty good news, Nan. Keep us informed. We will be thinking of you.

#252106 - 07/02/16 12:50 AM Re: Some Scary News [Re: Nan]
Deb Offline
Lane and Kent

Loc: Stockton
Nan,

Hoping and wishing you the best. I'll be keeping you in my prayers.

Good wishes to you,
Deb
“So, Lois Lane is falling, accelerating at an initial rate of 32 feet per second. Superman swoops down to save her by reaching out two arms of steel. Miss Lane, who is now traveling at approximately 120 miles an hour, hits them and is immediately sliced into three equal pieces.” (Big Bang Theory, Season 1, “The Big Bran Hypothesis”)

debc on IRC

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ChrisP, Kismatt, widget