Lois and Clark Message Board
a triangle built for two     

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#252129 - 07/06/16 08:35 PM Re: Some Scary News [Re: Nan]
Nan Offline
Lane and Kent

Loc: The Lone Star State
I had an MRI last Thursday. I got the results today.

The growth at it's widest measurement is 1.8 cm -- still under the critical 2 cm mark. There are no signs of it having migrated to the other side, and no signs of enlarged lymph nodes which would indicate metastasis, so that is good. The recommendation is for a lumpectomy with accompanying radiation and reconstruction of the breast, so I'm feeling better. I'll feel even better when I get a date for the surgery and get it over with.

Nan

#252131 - 07/07/16 04:33 AM Re: Some Scary News [Re: Nan]
Deb Offline
Lane and Kent

Loc: Stockton
Nan,
Please keep us posted on your progress.

Best hopes and wishes/prayers are with you.

Deb
“So, Lois Lane is falling, accelerating at an initial rate of 32 feet per second. Superman swoops down to save her by reaching out two arms of steel. Miss Lane, who is now traveling at approximately 120 miles an hour, hits them and is immediately sliced into three equal pieces.” (Big Bang Theory, Season 1, “The Big Bran Hypothesis”)

debc on IRC

#252175 - 07/12/16 10:10 AM Re: Some Scary News [Re: Nan]
Nan Offline
Lane and Kent

My surgery date is July 20th.

#252207 - 07/20/16 11:35 PM Re: Some Scary News [Re: Nan]
tim Offline
Lane and Kent

Loc: Recife, Brazil
Nan, I hope and pray that your surgery went well and they were able to remove it all.

Tim

#252218 - 07/23/16 10:29 AM Re: Some Scary News [Re: Nan]
Nan Offline
Lane and Kent

They did the surgery Wednesday morning, and removed both the tumor and the sentinel node -- that is the first lymph node to which cancer cells would migrate. She didn't take any others, which means they must have looked all right to her.

I stopped taking pain medication yesterday. My doctor did a very good job in keeping the incisions small, with minimal damage. The actual tumor scar is about an inch long. The tumor was about the size of a peanut, and hopefully she got it all.

We are waiting for a pathology report on the lymph node, and will find out the results on the 4th. If the node is clean, then all I have to worry about is the radiation to the actual tumor site.

Chuck and I are keeping our fingers crossed that it will turn out well.

#252262 - 08/04/16 07:55 PM Re: Some Scary News [Re: Nan]
Nan Offline
Lane and Kent

I had my follow up appointment with Dr. Canavan today, and the news is good.

The lab reports that the edges of the tumor are clear of cancer cells, so they got it all. The sentinel node was clear, so it hasn't spread.

It was 2.2 cm, not 1.8, so technically it was a stage two tumor, but only because of the size. It hasn't gotten into the lymph nodes.

I will have to do 5 days of radiation therapy next week, probably, as there is only a small window of time for that. They are also doing a genetic analysis of the growth to see if it is the type to recur in 10 years or so. If it is I'll have to undergo chemo. Hopefully it will be negative. I really don't want to lose my hair, but if I do, that's life. It will grow back.

All in all, it's a good report.

#252283 - 08/11/16 01:18 PM Re: Some Scary News [Re: Nan]
Nan Offline
Lane and Kent

Just an update. This morning I had the third radiation treatment. I will be going in for the 4th this afternoon.

There are three more days to go after today, with two treatments every day. The last will be Tuesday.

It is called the SAVI treatment, for anyone interested, and is the alternative to the month long treatment of the entire breast that left burns and a lot of discomfort. This one applies radiation only to the inside of the cavity where they took out the tumor.

Dr. Savnani, the oncologist, told me that the chances are that I am already cured, but this is the insurance policy for preventing the thing from recurring. It's inconvenient with this appliance surgically implanted in my breast, but I think it is worth it, and it comes out on Tuesday. All I have to do is get through the next few days.

Nan

#252284 - 08/11/16 01:26 PM Re: Some Scary News [Re: Nan]
BevK Offline
Clark Defender

Wonderful news! I hope it keeps getting better.

#252301 - 08/19/16 06:16 PM Re: Some Scary News [Re: Nan]
Nan Offline
Lane and Kent

I have finished the radiation treatments. The only thing left is waiting for the genetic analysis of the tumor. If it is the kind that is likely to recur in ten years or so, that means chemo. If not I'm home free except for periodic monitoring. I'll let you know, but as of now, I'm cancer free. It's a wonderful feeling.

#252326 - 08/30/16 04:24 PM Re: Some Scary News [Re: Nan]
Nan Offline
Lane and Kent

Latest update:

I saw my medical oncologist today. The news is mixed.

As far as anyone knows, the cancer is gone. However ...

Even though the lymph nodes are clear and the edges of the excised tumor were clean, the doctor says it was an aggressive tumor that had been growing for about 6 months. In that time there is the possibility that a few cells may have spun off into the bloodstream.

To combat this, I must have chemotherapy every three weeks for the next six months to catch any such hypothetical cells and kill them. It won't be fun, but if I don't, there is a good chance the thing will reappear in my brain, liver, lungs or kidneys. If I do the chem, the chances are excellent that I will live out the rest of my normal lifespan without a reappearance. Since I am not a fool, I will do the chemo.

This means, of course, that I am going to lose my hair for a time. <sigh> I look like an alien from Star Trek without my hair. However, it will grow back.

So, looking for the silver lining, since I was having my hairdresser slowly lighten my hair color anyway, so that the roots won't show as much when they grow out, I bought a very stylish ash-blond wig this afternoon, and when I am over the chemo, and my hair grows back enough, I'll have Kelsie match the wig's color, and no one will know the difference except my family.

Anyway, that's the news. It's going to be a pain in the butt for another six months, but I'm going to live. That makes it worth while.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ChrisP, Kismatt, widget